The Sandton SPCA’s Inspectors had their hands full throughout the festive season – and while that may seem like a long time ago now, it marked the start to a new beginning for animals that were either given a second chance for happiness – or relieved of their suffering.
Here’s a snapshot of some of the cases we’ve dealt with – thanks to your support:
- A dog – covered in wounds and scars – was rescued after we received a tip-off about dogfighting. He’s received medical care and is in safekeeping, and charges were laid against the owner.
- We rescued an American Pitbull Terrier who had been maimed in a botched cropping, leaving him with bloody, cartilage-exposed ears. His owner was arrested and charged, and the dog has had corrective surgery and is in safekeeping.
- An emaciated, starving dog was removed from his uncaring home and charges were laid against his negligent owner.
- After rescuing an old dog from a dam and taking him to the Sandton SPCA to recover, we discovered that he had spinal complications. He was humanely put to sleep to end his suffering.
- We saved a dog from a life of torture: he was kept on a short chain (less a metre long), with no shelter, and forced to live in a filthy environment. His owner is facing charges of cruelty.