How We Work
The Sandton SPCA is one of over 90 societies in South Africa today. Each society is fully autonomous, having its own Non-Profit Organisation (NPO) number, operating in its own constitutional district and taking full responsibility for its own affairs. Each SPCA is a member of the National Councils of SPCAs (NSPCA) and is bound by the rules of the SPCA Act No. 169 of 1993.
The Five Freedoms
We operate using the following guidelines:
- Freedom from Hunger and Thirst – by providing ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigour.
- Freedom from Discomfort – by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting place.
- Freedom from Pain, Injury or Disease – by prevention, by rapid diagnosis and treatment.
- Freedom to Express Normal Behaviour – by providing sufficient space, proper facilities and company of the animal’s own kind.
- Freedom from Fear and Distress – by ensuring conditions and treatment that avoid mental suffering.
Let Others Know